Pages

Friday, March 29, 2013

Spice up Your Pancakes!



Easter Sunday always brought with it a great breakfast feast.  This would include bacon, eggs, sausage, biscuits, gravy, grits, oatmeal and of course, pancakes.  My father tended to make pancakes every Sunday, but Easter Sunday he always tried to make them extra special.  Now that I have a child of my own, I am always thinking of ways to spice up our pancakes.  I have compiled a list of different ingredients you can add to make your typical pancakes just a little bit better.  Some of these additions are basic, and others are a bit harder to come by.  Give them all a try and choose your favorites.


-          Any fruit.  Fresh is best but frozen certainly works too.  Either dice it up very small and mix right into the batter, or slice and add to the top of the half cooked pancake befor flipping.


-          Chocolate chips.  Or butterscotch chips, or peanut butter chips.  These can also either be added to the batter befor pouring, or to the pancake befor flipping


-           Cinnamon.  I have always put cinnamon in my pancake batter.  It adds amazing flavor
.

-          Cardamom.  My Aunt suggested I add cardamom to my pancakes after I complained at Christmas about how expensive the spice is.  I do not suggest you go out and purchase cardamom for the sole purpose of pancakes unless you plan to use it very often.  But if you happen to have a jar of it in your house, this is a great use.


-          Bacon.  Crisp cooked bacon, crumbled into pancake batter adds flavor and gives you two breakfast flavors in one!


-          Brown Sugar.  Sprinkle this on to your pancake batter just befor flipping.  It adds a caramelized flavor that doesn’t need any syrup.

       Jams or Jellies.  Rather than the typical syrup on pancakes, add your favorite jam or jelly to add some more flavor and texture.  Or get creative and make a PB&J pancake.  


-           Flavor infused butter or syrup.  There are so many recipes and ideas to infuse flavors into your butters or syrups that I cannot list them all here.   A quick internet search will yield a multitude of options
.

I hope you all have a happy Easter, and enjoy some new pancake ideas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment