Pages

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Hubby's visit home

Being a military spouse, people assume I will follow my husband all over the world.  That is not the case with us.  Yes, I want to spend as much time with my husband as possible, but I also want to give our children the best life I can.  For my husband and I, that means living 1700 miles apart (at least for now).  My reasons for staying put while my husband gets stationed all over creation are vast.  Many wives don’t understand why I would choose to separate my family, many people in general don’t understand the choice I have made, but it is my choice and it works for us. 

What little time we do get to spend together is packed full of family activities and quality time.  We never seem to accomplish everything on our to-do list but that is probably because we always seem to spend an extra day vegging on the couch watching movies.
My boys always working hard to keep the farm functioning.

My husband was home from the 9th of August to the 25th.  Two weeks does not seem very long but it was the longest we have been together in all of 2013.  As soon as he got off the plane I bombarded him with a honey-do list to include weeding the front landscaping and taking down an old shed.  We actually accomplished a ton in those two weeks but did not finish the weeding or dismantling of the shed.  We did however get 6 cavalettis built, most of the weeding and dismantling  and we cleaned the house.   Even if I had the house spotless, in my opinion  he would have found something to clean.  It is just what he does.  He even set up my sewing area and rearranged/organized a new desk for my computer.

When we weren't busy with chores, we spent a lot of time just being together as a family.  For our son’s birthday we went up north for a Pirate festival and boat tour around the islands.  We spent a few days simply lazing around the house watching movies.  It took us two days to go through the toy room and our son’s bedroom (I know those sound like chores but doing them together made them much more tolerable).  And finally,his last day home, we drove south to a friends wedding.

As much as I love having my husband home, I know that when the time comes I will have to put him on a plane back to wherever the military has him living at that time.  He is happy with his career and plans to make big advances in the near future.  I love having a place to call home and somewhere settled to raise our children.  We speak on the phone as often as possible and we cherish every moment we get to spend together.  Someday he will be settled back on our little homestead, but until then we will enjoy our life as a long distance family.  

No comments:

Post a Comment