Pages

Monday, July 15, 2013

My First Sewing Machine!



For my birthday, my mother FINALLY bought me a sewing machine.  I have only been asking for a sewing machine for every gift giving opportunity for the past 3 years.  I am not usually one to ask for gifts, I find them unnecessary and often a waste of money.  But this sewing machine is something I have realy wanted.  The original request came from the desire to make my son a quilt out of his baby clothes, but since then I have come up with a million projects to do.  Of course, my husband suggested I just sew by hand.  I immediately had him checked into a mental institute.  As much as I enjoy hand sewing, and I know tons of people still swear by it, I prefer a machine for large projects.  
  
Now that I have my machine, I can finally get started on the quilts and curtains I have been planning for years.  My son and I headed to the fabric store over the weekend to stock up on some essentials and I will start the search for the perfect curtain material very soon.  For now, I have 2 quilts ready to get started and a third (the baby clothes one) in the back of my mind.  The problem I am having now is finding the perfect pattern.  I am the type of person to buy the materials first and find the pattern latter.  I do the same thing with my knitting, I have a ton of yarn and have to find something to do with it.

One of the best parts about quilting is that you can make a beautiful piece out of scraps and old clothing.  It doesn’t have to cost much to come out with a great quilt.  I purchased fabric for my first two projects and I will be sure to post some photos (if I remember to) when they are complete.  I warn tho, it may take months to get them completed.  With everything that goes on around here I don’t have nearly as much time to craft as I would like.  I would love to hear stories and see photos of any of your quilts, or other crafting projects. 

No comments:

Post a Comment